Saturday, January 28, 2006

Our Next Adventure



Well our next adventure started on Tuesday. Gavin and I went to the doctor only to discover that we were not going home to finish laundry but to the hospital. He had lost weight and seemed dehydrated. We were admitted and I tried to be brave as Gavin was weighed again and stabbed with a needle to draw blood for tests and set an IV. I held his head and shoulders firm while poor Gavin wailed. Sad story. His arm was taped to a board and wrapped with gauze and red tape in an effort to keep him from pulling it out. I didn't get a picture of it because I was just too stressed, but you can see his little bandaid in the picture. He weighed 6 pounds and 9 ounces. His PKU test for Jaundice came back at 19. Fluids were pushed through the IV and nursing and bottle feeding. Wednesday the score was down to 14.5 and his weight was up over 7 pounds. The IV came out and we were staying until he was able to maintain the weight gain. The problem seems to be a combined feeding/jaundice issue. His jaundice made him more lethargic, sleepy, and not active in eating. Because he didn't eat enough, he got dehydrated which made him more lethargic and less interested in nursing. You get the picture. While I thought I was feeding him for hours, there was more chewing and gnawing than sucking and swallowing. I spent Tuesday and Wednesday feeling stressed, guilty, and tired. By Thursday we had our routine down and today, Saturday, we got to come home. Gavin gets nursing time and then bottle feedings to ensure he is eating the right volume. It's nice to be home again. We go back to the doctor Monday to make sure the weight is staying on. It was very scary and I felt like death. I looked like it too so I didn't put those pictures on! Gavin was as ready I was to go home-his foot demands FREEDOM! So, we are both doing well now. Mom learned a lot and enjoyed not doing all the laundry that Gavin created for 4 days. I am super grateful to the good nurses at the hospital and to Gavin's doctor and to all the support I received through this long week.

No comments: